What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning? Other than pushing the snooze button (twice)? Check your phone? Social media? Emails?
Being connected constantly has become so normal that it's invading even the most crucial moments of our day. Mornings should be spent slowly waking up the body and mind by exercise and mindfulness. Don't worry, we aren't saying you have to hit the gym for an hour followed by a heavy meditation. It's all about quality over quantity when creating a morning ritual. Here are some key points to be aware of and possibly integrate into your mornings.
1. If you have to wake up early the next morning, do you fill your head with thoughts of how tired you will be the night before? This is already setting yourself up for failure. If the last thought before you fall asleep is how tired you will be, you are not only setting yourself up to be tired but also setting yourself up for a bad sleep consumed with worry. Before falling asleep, set intentions that you will wake up feeling energized and excited to start a fresh, new day!
2. Place your alarm clock across the room. This is especially important if you rely on your phone for your alarm. By placing it across the room, this gives you time before sleep to unwind without staring at a screen and also ensures that you must get up to shut your alarm off in the morning. By doing this, you are more likely to get up on the first alarm and avoid snoozing, which actually makes it more difficult to eventually wake up.
3. When you do wake up, head to the kitchen and drink a full glass of water. We are often dehydrated in the morning (especially during these dry winter months) and drinking a glass of water can help fire up your metabolism and get your brain into think mode.
4. Get up and move! Dedicating 10 minutes to moving the body first thing in the morning can do wonders for the day. Try a few sun salutations, planks, downward dogs and a tree pose to get the body warmed up.
5. Quiet time. Whether you are a coffee maniac or love a good tea, take 5 minutes to enjoy it in quiet with your thoughts. You would be surprised what comes up when you have no distractions and spending some quality time with yourself before your day can help ground and balance you.
Do you have a morning ritual that you love? Share it with us!